[wp-hackers] "Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error." But what is the error?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Mar 12 16:26:37 UTC 2010

The error_scrape thing basically turns on the "display_errors" PHP
setting and then tries to run the page with the plugin activated. This
would show you the fatal error.

However, some hosting systems don't let you turn on display_errors. In
which case, of course, you get nothing.

Only fix: Figure out why your system won't let you turn on
display_errors. There's no other way to get the error message.

-Otto

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM, James Nachlin <jnachlin at sixapart.com> wrote:
> Ok, that's really interesting.
>
> There is an iframe, but it's blank.
>
> The URL of the iframe is
> http://localhost/~jnachlin/wordpress/wp-admin/plugins.php?action=error_scrape&plugin=jim-conversations/jim-conversations.php&_wpnonce=347359ad62
>
> So those arguments are:
> action = error_scrape
> plugin = jim-conversations/jim-conversations.php
> _wpnonce = 347359ad62
>
> I see the space where the error would be, but it's not there.
>
> Thanks to all for the ongoing help.
>
> -Jim
>
> Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
>>
>> When a plugin's activation is blocked due to a fatal error, The page
>> you're redirected to SHOULD have a inline frame after the message which will
>> show the error message.
>>
>> As long as WP_DEBUG is defined, you should be able to see the error..
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:35:43 +1200, James Nachlin <jnachlin at sixapart.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have added a third line, based on looking at wp-settings.php.
>>>
>>> define('WP_DEBUG', true);