[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Mar 9 01:16:24 UTC 2010

On Mar 8, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Jeremy Clarke wrote:

> -1 for having records for all commenters in wp_users. Whatever you
> guys are thinking could be solved by it should be solved by the
> existing option to allow/force registration for comments. If you feel
> like you have a reply then please re-read that last sentence, its a
> killer.

I tend to agree with this.  It seems that if somebody wanted this they could make a plugin that "auto registers" commenters as a custom User type "commenter".

The ONLY thing I see as a possible advantage to commenters as Users in core is the idea of themes being designed with a page that shows all of a commenter's comments. However, that could be covered with something like a custom template within the plugin, or a.. shortcode maybe?... that could be put into the content of a regular old Page.