[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Mar 8 20:30:30 UTC 2010

On Mar 8, 2010, at 9:02 AM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2010, at 11:17 PM, Ptah Dunbar wrote:
>>> I raised that issue about core post types not using the show_ui argument so if one decides to remove them, Posts,  Pages, and Media would disappear from the UI.
>>
>>> Outside of that, I disagree that the core post types are really that hardcoded into WP; and if so, then that's probably a bug which you should file a new ticket for.
>>
>> You are missing the point.  It's not whether or not they are too hardcoded, it's the fact that without being able to remove them few people are ever going to test the edge cases.
>
> I think you argue against yourself.  It should be the default AND it's an "edge case"?  If so many people want to get rid of posts and pages that it should be the default, then surely these will be tested.
>
> Make it possible to remove then via filter?  Great.  Remove them by default?  No.

I may have either mistyped, or maybe you misread?  I didn't mean to say it should be default; I meant to say it should *not* be default. Removing "post", "page", et. al. should ideally be easy to do so that more people who want to will do it and thus more people will test those edge cases.

> Ptah is right -- if and where they are hard-coded, those are simply bugs to be fixed.

Bugs should be fixed, yes, but they are not likely to be found if its hard to do such that only a small number of people try it.

>> Why would you have an issue with them being default canonical plugins?  I can't see any downside to that.
>
> Because we want to keep it very easy for Joe User to put up his blog.  Non techie people don't want to mess with plugins as readily as dev types.

I don't see how that's an issue at all here. Canonical plugins could behind the scenes be activated or not during an install.  Posts, Comments, etc. could by default be activated. Podcasting could be deactivated by default. The user experience could be *identical* to what we have today except for the fact WordPress would ship with more plugins than Akismet and Hello Dolly, and some of those would be activated by default.

So I'll ask again, what's the downside?

> How about a canonical plugin that allows you to manipulate post types -- including removing default ones?

Now you're talking! :-)

-Mike