[wp-hackers] Idea: Widgets as custom post types

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Mar 2 21:40:10 UTC 2010

On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:32 PM, John O'Nolan wrote:

> Surely moving widgets and links all into the wp_posts table would screw up backwards compatibility just as much as renaming it? (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, I'm genuinely asking)

Renaming the wp_posts table would potentially affect hundreds of plugins and themes and potentially introduce bugs in the core code.  Benefits do not outweigh the downside, IMO.

FWIW, we had this discussion in depth on Trac regarding custom post types: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9674

-Mike