[wp-hackers] Idea: Widgets as custom post types

Michael Pretty mpretty at voceconnect.com
Tue Mar 2 21:05:12 UTC 2010

On 3/2/10 3:53 PM, Otto wrote:

> Thank you! This is what I think sometimes too when I see this sort of thing.

Sorry, I was only being partially sarcastic.  I agree with converting to
a more nodal system.  It makes the code much cleaner and reusable.

> People, turning everything into a subtype of "post" is stupid. Okay,
> sure, for *some* things it makes sense to treat them in a generic
> object sense. Pages, posts, attachments, these I get (mainly because
> attachments get a special post-like page out of it).

Its not that we're turning things into a subtype of "post", we're
turning things into a subtype of "content", and in the case of menus,
links, and widgets, they are content.  We're just not renaming the posts
table or some of the function names because of backwards compatibility

-prettyboymp