[wp-hackers] How to rename plugins in the plugin repository?

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Wed Jun 30 16:21:01 UTC 2010

> Instead, I'd recommend using something like define('BASE_URL', dirname(__FILE__)
> ); to set the current directory name as a constant.  Then you can reference
> BASE_URL elsewhere in your script as necessary.

The related error I most often see is that a plugin hard codes that it runs out of the plugins directory, and that isn't always the case.

For example, WPMU ran plugins out of the mu-plugins directory.  On installs I've worked with, certain plugins run out of another subdirectory in order to allow custom activation/deactivation that is outside the blog administrator's control.  The plugins that hardcode their location have to be altered to allow a generic location.