[wp-hackers] Wordpress 3.0, can we finally get a LTS version?

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Jun 18 00:23:38 UTC 2010

On Jun 17 2010 5:20 PM, Peter Westwood wrote:
> I would happily support and maintain a LTS branch for WordPress if there was a community around that really wanted it.
>
> This really means that if this is something you want and you have clients that want then please provide patches and help us reach the goal you aspire.
>
> It needs to be a community effort it is not something we can do on our own - the time would be better spent supporting the millions of people who do upgrade.

I think what what might be missing here is the core commit team
confirming, "if you submit security patches for an LTS branch, we'll
commit them." Every time this topic comes up, the response basically
boils down to "It's too much work in addition to moving forward with the
main branch." I don't think that anyone (well, anyone reasonable)
expects the core team to be the only people responsible for backporting
security patches. But with what seems to be negative push-back on the
idea, not many community members are going to willing to put forth the
effort to work on patches for "unsupported" versions.

Like you say, it's a community effort. But for something like this, the
community members who might be able to help out need some affirmation
that their work can come to fruition. Two-way street, and all that. What
if we established a core+community security team, perhaps on a private
mailing list, as a start? Put out a volunteer call (privately, even --
cherry pick candidates if you want), gauge interest/participation
levels, put out some procedural guidelines, etc.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/