[wp-hackers] Geodata storage

Beau Lebens beau at dentedreality.com.au
Sat Jun 5 21:06:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Beau Lebens wrote:
>> Also having this data allows you to do things like search for all
>> posts in an area.
>
> How ironic.  I'm working on a project that needs exactly that (now why wasn't that obvious for me? Doh!)
>
> That brings up a great question.  Is there a standard way to generate post search results ranked in order of location from a central geo-point?  (if not, should there be?)

I would suggest that this would definitely be plugin territory, but
that the groundwork to making it more possible/useful would be making
sure that anything/everything that was going to work with geo data was
at least storing it in the same place.

You should be able to (totally guessing here) filter search queries to
do something like this, once you know where to look for the
appropriate geodata (might require an external index of some sort, i
don't have much experience with searching on geo data myself).