[wp-hackers] Custom taxonomies and admin menus

Joshua Sibelman joshua.sibelman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 21:52:29 UTC 2010

I hope this isn't an obvious question, but I wasn't able to find anything on this in the Codex.

I created a plugin for a client that registers a new post type with two attendant hierarchical taxonomies. When the taxonomies are registered via the plugin, I do not see line items in the admin menu to access them for editing. If I move the taxonomy registration out of the plugin and into the theme's functions.php file, then the menu items appear.

Can anyone explain this behavior? Is there something specific I need to do when registering taxonomies via plugin vs. the functions.php file to get the menus to appear?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Josh