[wp-hackers] wp-hackers Digest, Vol 66, Issue 107

Jeff Rose mirepup at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 23:58:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM, <wp-hackers-request at lists.automattic.com>wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. wp_cache function tutorials (Andrew Gray)
>

> Here are my slides from my talk at Word Camp RDU about caching and
> Transient API,
>  There are some code samples in there
> http://tayloegray.com/2010/05/slide-from-word-camp-raleigh/
>
> You can download my code samples from the talk here:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/896473/cached-sidebar
> .php <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/896473/cached-sidebar%0A.php>

Thanks to both Andrew and Otto for their very useful replies.

To the other poster who asked why I don't create a custom post type, it's
because I've got 20,000+ item that aren't considered post-type data in
anyway. Imagine just wanting to let people search your song list in a
widget, vs reading tons of details about it.

If I'm understanding custom post types correctly, it seems a bad way to go
just to store 5 tiny bits of data about 20,000 items.

Anyone?