[wp-hackers] Rename wp-admin problems

Guy wphax at nullamatix.com
Mon Jul 26 15:48:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM, WP Customizer <wpcustomizer at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I decided I want to rename core files and folders to remove the wp-.  I
> wrote a simple little program using vb .net that will recursivly edit every
> file in a given directory and do a find a replace operation to change name
> refrences.  For example it finds refrences to wp-login.php and changes it to
> login.php.

You wrote a program for this? Why not:

bawx ~$ perl -pi -w -e 's/wp-admin/s3cr3t_wp_adm1n/g;' *.php

or...

bawx ~$ find ./wp-dev/* -type f -exec sed -i
's/wp-admin/s3cr3t_wp_adm1n/g' {} \;

Same would work for all "wp-*.*" files/folders.

???

And,

"If this is partly a security consideration, it would be much better
to lock down your wp-admin directory by IP, HTTP authentication, or
the like."

True, but what's even better is if /wp-admin/ doesn't even exist, in
addition to the IP & HTTP auth against the "new" wp-admin directory.

-Guy
www.nullamatix.com