[wp-hackers] PHP 5.2 that WordPress 3.2 requires

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sun Jul 25 00:41:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:33:24 +1000, Franklin Tse
<peaceable_whale at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Drupal had problem with PHP 5.2.0 too:
>
> http://drupal.org/node/807622
> http://api.drupalecommerce.org/api/function/file_directory_temp/7
>
> I don't think it is good to stay in 5.2.0. One of the reasons to
> increase the PHP version requirement, IMO, is to reduce the need of
> workarounds and writing own implementation of PHP functions.

Just like to point out, that thats not a bug in PHP.. But just them using
5.2.1 functionality when they require 5.2, It the same as using PHP 5.3
functions.
But that function cant be relied upon either, just like they don't rely on
it there, often bad PHP setups will have the temporary directory set to a
directory which cant be written to.. WordPress works around those hosts,
nothing will change going forward there either, we're still going to have
to work with bad PHP configurations..

WordPress already uses the function pointed out there, but we check for it
before using it, Its not a "workaround", its the process of taking
advantage of what the system supports, and degrading nicely. The same is
done for Javascript/CSS in browsers, Droping support for < IE8 would be
nice(:P) But.. isnt actually required, as long as functions degrade nicely
in older browsers (for example, Rounded corners)

Dion Hulse / dd32

Contact:
  e: contact at dd32.id.au
  Web: http://dd32.id.au/