[wp-hackers] Searching across entire multisite network with Sphinx

Daniel Bachhuber danielbachhuber at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:31:43 UTC 2010

Hey all,
I'm in the process of setting up a new WordPress 3.0 multisite instance and would like to have search on the main site query across all of the sites in the network.

Initially, my thought was to use Sphinx, and the WP Sphinx Search plugin, but I've run into a significant issue in that I can't dynamically add new sites to the mix. It's detailed more in depth here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3301145/configuring-sphinx-to-index-a-dynamic-set-of-tables

My question for the WordPress crowd, however, is this: is there a better way to offer search across all of the sites on the network?

Ideally, this would be a self-hosted solution that I could performance tune, also supported the different BuddyPress content types (members, groups, activity updates, etc.), and was agnostic about custom domain mapping as some sites will be a subdomain of the primary site while others will be on their own domain.

Thanks much in advance,

Daniel

--
Daniel Bachhuber