[wp-hackers] URL | URI ... not all mammals are dogs.

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Tue Jul 20 23:36:46 UTC 2010

If I understand what you are saying, the problem you are having is that
since you changed from one location, i.e. sub.domain.com to
domain.com/sub. You discovered that the site no longer worked, since it
was trying to redirect to sub.domain.com. After some research, you
discovered an article that stated that in the database, there are two
options that need to be edited. This either has to be done before you
move the files in wp-admin or in the database, which is unfortunate or
you can set the WP_HOME and WP_SITEURL constants in wp-config.php.

Parsing through the crazy, err, rest of the email, I suppose you are
upset that there isn't a more refined method to fix the situation. I
have to agree, but discussions towards a more refined way tend towards
issues with how the Home and Site URL are configured. This is required
to be known before hand and it is extremely difficult to do if WordPress
is in a directory. The algorithms are flawed and while they might work
for majority of cases, it is the minority that prevents such a solution
from being in WordPress. Every web application has this problem and most
require even more manual intervention for defining where the web app
resides on the URI (not so much a problem if Permalinks is turned off).

For WordPress MultiSite, you might want to try the networking plugin
that allows for multiple domains.

Most likely this will be my only reply, please note that I'm not flaming
you and any thing that might seem that way is a mistake and I apologize
up-front now for any misgivings that you might have with my reply.

Jacob Santos