[wp-hackers] Read more link on page going nowhere

Kris Young KrisY at tbs.uk.com
Mon Jul 19 12:04:29 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com [mailto:wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com] On Behalf Of Jasper Frumau
Sent: 19 July 2010 13:01
To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
Subject: [wp-hackers] Read more link on page going nowhere

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get a working "read more" tag on a page or pages. So
far I have only managed to get the read more text to show as a link. I have
been writing about it here:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/424684?replies=13#post-1605389  for a
while now. It has been a monologue so far. I am using the code pasted here
http://wordpress.pastebin.com/f2xeiD4A as well as in the mentioned
wordpress.org thread. Somehow the link keeps on sending visitors back to the
same page showing the text until the "read more" link. I have no idea how I
can fix this. Does anyone know why

<?php
//The Query
query_posts('pagename=portfolio');
global $more;
?>
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
<?php $more = 0;?>
<h2><?php the_title(); ?></h2>

<?php the_content('read the rest of this page »'); ?>

it does not work and creats a link
http://www.domain.com/portfolio/#more-16that leads to nowhere? Can
this be remedied? Other solutions?

Thanks in advance for any help. Been at it for quite some time now..

Regards,

Jasper

-----

Hi there Jasper, I recommend using the_excerpt. Whether you're doing this for posts or pages, the functionality can be replicated. Most simple way of separating a post/page content block from a 'teaser'.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Excerpt

Kris