[wp-hackers] How many plugins can a WP installation bare?

Andras Stracz shikakaa at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 12:01:04 UTC 2010

I suggest trying WP-Tuner and similar plugins, I have a good experience with
it.

However I must say db intensity is not the only thing that matters. There
are simply badly designed plugins that load everything on every pageload
even if they aren't needed in the end. These would ultimately show up in PHP
profilers (like Xdebug) and with php's get_included_files() function.

Recently I've replaced 2 very badly designed plugins, and for both of them
the database time was less than 7 ms, but they included 30+ files, used up
10+MB memory and ran about 100ms worth of functions. These only showed up in
the combination of these tools.

Maybe some kind of performance or efficiency rating would be useful in the
plugin database, as I belive more and more users grow conscious of pageload
times and minification can only get you so far...

Andras Stracz