[wp-hackers] Active Record / ORM enhancements discussion for WPDB class

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 19:40:45 UTC 2010

Personally I find nothing broken or disruptive to use with what we have.

To me the best thing for the community once the minimum PHP version for WordPress is change is for us to be able to implement new things easier and support the PHP5 only features we already have for all users.

Time spent re-inventing what we have to use new wizz-bangs / patterns / ... that are now more accessible doesn't make keeping everything backward compatible easier - in fact it makes it harder.

Developer time is a limited resource even with the 100s of regular contributors - all that time is best spent on incremental improvements rather than re-inventing wheels

In you want to go a try working on a WordPress like project that is built from the ground up using these newer techniques then you might want to investigate Habari - alot of the good folks that work on that are WordPress alumin and I believe it has a similar flow but is much more 'PHP5'

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5