[wp-hackers] Problems recognising templates in the file system

Jake Goldman wphackers at jakemgold.myfastmail.com
Wed Jul 14 16:34:05 UTC 2010

  http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

That should answer most of your questions.

If you're referring to custom page templates, pages are assigned meta
data with the script name of the template files. If you rename the
template, all current page's assigned that template will "lose" their
assignment.

In theory, you could write some code that checks that meta data value
for an old template and updates it with the new script name. Of course,
for smaller sites, that's probably silly compared with just reassigning
the template and update the pages.

Jake