[wp-hackers] MySQL queries to add to wp_postmeta

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Jul 12 23:26:18 UTC 2010

So you want a bulk insert statement to add the meta_key with a default value for every one that's missing one?  Why not default the value in PHP code rather than take up disk space?

That said, I think this is what you asked for, let me know if not:

INSERT INTO wp_postmeta2 (post_id,meta_key,meta_value)
SELECT ID,'my_custom_key','false'
FROM wp_posts
WHERE ID NOT IN (SELECT post_id FROM wp_postmeta2 WHERE meta_key = 'my_custom_key')

P.S. This can be written several ways, I wrote this to try to make it the most obvious.

-Mike