[wp-hackers] Custom Post Types and pending incompatibilities

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Jul 11 22:57:22 UTC 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Rich Pedley wrote:
>> Not sure how to get that "best practice" out there so that it
>> becomes widely know?
>
> Well adding it to:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Custom_Post_Types
>
> and changing the example to use a prefix would be a start.

Okay so I took a first stab at this. I had to set some stakes in the ground but if there are any that people disagree with then by all means please discuss:

	http://codex.wordpress.org/Custom_Post_Types#Custom_Types

-Mike

P.S. Also note that I wrote the following about "Reserved Post Type Names" which needs to (eventually?) be finalized by the core team:

Reserved Post Type Names
Although the core development team has yet to make a final decision on this, it has been proposed on the wp-hackers list that future core post type names will be namespaced with "wp_", i.e. if the core team decides to add an "Event" post type then according to this suggestion they would use the internal name "wp_event." Even though this hasn't been finalized, it'll be a good idea to avoid any custom post types whose name begins with "wp_."