[wp-hackers] Custom Post Types and pending incompatibilities

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Jul 11 05:27:41 UTC 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, at 11:39 PM, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Slightly different challenge: It's incredibly unlikely that plugin authors
> would want the rewrite root of their custom post type URLs to be namespaced
> in such an ugly way (in public URLs that is -- in code it's fiiiine).
>
> Consider: A "jdub_bongsip" custom type vs. /jdub_bongsip/%slug%/ URLs. Ick!
>
> Not sure what we should encourage in that case. Perhaps automagically create
> a setting on the Permalinks page for custom post types (which don't define
> this manually themselves) similar to the tag and category URL root settings?
>
> Tough one.

Really good point.   I can think of no solution for it, either.  Anyone?

On Jul 10, 2010, at 11:57 PM, Brian Layman wrote:
>>> One idea for the core WP side is to have all the post types proceeded
>>> with wp_
>> Any reason not to just go with an underscore prefix?
>
> The underscore prefix is typically used in WordPress to signal something
> hidden to the UI (options & post_meta for instance). Following this
> paradigm, I have written plugins that use an underscore to signal a hidden
> taxonomy. The specific need was to create custom RSS feeds and triggers
> while not cluttering the UI. I would suspect that I am not the only one to
> do this.

Makes complete sense.  So maybe future core and core plugin post type would be "wp_" prefixed?  Thoughts from anyone on the core team?  (Personally I admit I like the simple elegance of names like "post" and "event" etc. but I worry about compatibility issues stunting growth in effective functionality made available.)

-Mike