[wp-hackers] Three Plugin development questions

Sukhwinder Singh ssruprai at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 14:27:49 UTC 2010

Sorry for posting at wrong mailing list. I know cannot expect any more support here but I still want to explain what I am doing.

Regarding user capabilities I'lll look at those. I just started with wordpress plugin development and have only done few projects. So I looked at other plugins code etc. and user the methods I saw there.

> In your call to add_submenu_page(), one of the 'Add Firm' strings
is the
> page title.

I understand this but thing is the same form will handle editing/adding so when an id is passed I wanted to dynamically change what appears in browser address bar to 'Update Firm'.

> With regards to headers already being sent, you are hooking in too
late to
> perform a redirection -- it must come before any HTTP
headers are sent. You
> should consider using a custom post type.

The headers are sent by wordpress admin.php file and I don't output anything myself before redirecting.
I think when using add_menu_page or add_submenu_page whatever page/code redirects gets the header already sent warning. I am not sure if there is any other way to add menus or submenus so that I don't get headers warning.

Also there is a problem of menu item appearing twice (once in main menu and once in submenu)

Regarding custom posts we started with those but I think data for custom posts is stored in post_meta in row format rather than columns (I understand it has to be done this way). I want to extract data in different ways and pass on to some flash front end so I am not sure the custom posts may be best way.

I have searched around and have not found answers to these questions. Only as last resort I post to forum or subscribe to mailing list.
Could you please let me know what should mailing list I should subscribe
 to for help in plugin development?

Thanks