[wp-hackers] Filter Visualization

Elizabeth Buckwalter elizabeth at slatetechpdx.com
Wed Jul 7 18:35:24 UTC 2010

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:12 AM,  Eric Mann <eric at eamann.com> wrote:
> Subject: [wp-hackers] Filter Visualization

[snip]

> My idea: A plug-in allows you to see all filters currently being used on the
> site and selectively turn them on or off without touching the code. This would
> give power users the ability to quickly shut off filters they don't like, and
> would allow lay users to disable new features that might break a legacy site.

> Do you see any value in a plug-in like this? ?Why or why not?
>
> ~Eric Mann

 I'm coming from the perspective of developing for clients.  Once it
does what they want it to they don't want to change anything but the
content.  That said, I have often wanted a quick way to view a list of
the filters to track down who what when where why things are
happening.  Usually, it's because one filter is messing up another
filter.  I constantly forget where I put the code, so I must Google it
again for another project.   Having a quick way to turn them off would
be nice.

I personally wouldn't use it for production, because there are so many
filters, it seems like it would slow a site down.  It may only be
milliseconds, but milliseconds can add up to seconds very quickly on
large sites.

In conclusion, I would love this plugin, but only for development purposes.

--
Thanks,
Elizabeth Buckwalter