[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 15:28:49 UTC 2010

On 7/7/10, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/2010 9:11 AM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>> I laughed when Matt said we were approaching Godwin's Law. :-)  Some of
>> the rhetoric is getting a bit overwrought, but for the most part I think
>> it's remained pretty civil.
>
> We are -- someone is comparing the capitalization of the letter P with
> removing the sacred freedoms every WordPress user is given by the GPL.
> If you're someone who is frequently personally attacked, lied about,
> having cartoons drawn about you, etc for trying to protect that freedom
> it pushes it too far. There is a huge magnitude of difference.

You're doing it wrong. Not a single soul brought out a comparison to
Hitler or Nazis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwins_Law

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison
involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

You self-Godwinned, thus I invoke Quirk's Exception.

> The rest of your message is a bit long to respond to individually, but
> in summary:
>
> Core development is a meritocracy. People pay their dues by working on
> *hard* issues that matter to end-users, like widgets, upgrades, speed
> and performance, and then they're then trusted with increasing rights
> and responsibilities.
>
> The more attention paid to a trivial issue by a new contributor, hence
> the more distraction from the core people on the things that matter,
> that new contributor is spending their default community currency on
> something that is generating no returns.

I thought "we" were taking a release cycle off to work on community
issues. What better time than when the core devs have no pressing code
need?

> If you want to map the decline of this mailing list, to the point it
> might as well be shut down, look at the number of words generated by
> people who don't contribute to core over time, or over "bikeshed" issues
> that don't really matter. ( http://bikeshed.com/ ) (And also the
> atrocious email etiquette and quoting style that's taken over here.)

So then shutter Hackers. If it's really the wretched hive of scum and
villainy that folks make it out to be, nuke it from orbit.

> Eventually, the good people unsubscribe entirely, or go silent for
> months/years at a time. Why? Because they didn't get involved with
> WordPress because they love arguing on mailing lists. I'm involved
> because I love making it easy for people to build beautiful dynamic
> websites. I'm involved because I think the more people publishing, the
> better place the world will be. I'm involved because I love figuring out
> elegant code or architecture solutions to tricky problems or UI challenges.

Your suggestion that those who disagree with you DON'T value those
things truly rankles.  If you're trying to engender reasoned debate
and healthy contributions, publicly impugning others' motives is a
lousy way to start.

--
-Doug
@zamoose