[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Jul 7 14:12:55 UTC 2010

On 7/7/2010 4:48 AM, Gavin Pearce wrote:
> *******
> *** What do we really actually gain from this function? Seriously?
> *******

The correct capitalization of WordPress all over the web. A small easter
egg that makes the people who care about such things happy. (It also
increases participation on Trac.)

> Is the function worth breaking sites of users, and finally taking the
> step towards modifying user output?

If it breaks sites, that's a bug that can be fixed. (And already has.)

> Why stop at WordPress, why not start forcing all the spelling mistakes
> through?

It's not technically a spelling mistake, like "degradtion" and
"modifiying" are. It is impossible to change the meaning of someone's
sentence by capitalizing the P in WordPress, except in an extreme
meta-case where the change itself is being discussed, in which case it
is easy to avoid the filter, or for someone aware of the filter to
deactivate it.

> Oh Matt btw - you're "plugin" scenario makes no sense, as Chip pointed
> out, your Wordpress to WordPress already has a plugin, has done for
> ages.

I don't see how that is pertinent to this discussion. It's much easier
to test a negation than a positive. I think both sides agree that the
average person is not going to notice or care about this change, so
probably not go to the explicit action of installing a plugin for it.
However given the faster-than-ever adoption of 3.0, if strongly objected
to it you would imagine a plugin deactivating the already-active
functionality would gain popularity.

Does that make sense?

--
Matt Mullenweg