[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Tue Jul 6 22:38:50 UTC 2010

On 7/6/2010 5:49 PM, eric at eamann.com wrote:
>   If plug-in popularity is the metric against which
> patch suitability is measured, then this patch fails in all regards.

I didn't mean to suggest that should be the sole method of adding
functionality to WordPress or that every line of code should be a plugin
first.

I meant it specifically as an outlet for people suggesting "the
community is against this" or that the "majority" of people are in a
"red rage" or other similar sentiments.

Since we've previously established why mailing list activity, or even
vocal opposition, is not a good metric for determining the ultimate
success of anything added to WordPress (or we wouldn't have themes or
WYSIWYG) a plugin could provide data as to the breadth and depth of
opposition in a manner more useful than a mailing list.

To reiterate, I do not believe every feature in WordPress should be a
plugin first, even though often plugins provide excellent inspiration
and indicators about what direction core WP should head in.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://wordpress.org | http://automattic.com