[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Demetris kikizas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 22:35:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Andrew Ozz <admin at laptoptips.ca> wrote:
> I'm still being amazed by how a well meant effort to correct a common
> spelling mistake can be turned into a .... (insert your favourite conspiracy
> theory here).
>
> Grammatically "WordPress" is a name and "Wordpress" is the misspelled form
> of it. And that's in any language. You wouldn't type "Los angeles" or "San
> francisco", would you? Correcting the spelling _does not_ change the content
> or edit your post.
>
> And yes, unfortunately there isn't more straightforward way of correcting
> that spelling. It could be added to the TinyMCE dictionary (would need a
> fair bit of coding since it uses Google spell by default but can use
> aspell/pspell on the server too). The problem is that most people usually
> use the browser's build-in spellchecker and there's no way of adding this in
> there.

Andrew,

First, no one talks about a conspiracy.

Second, are you saying that WordPress should be correcting commonly
misspelled camelcased words?  Why stop with WordPress’s own name then?
 There is much work to be done on that front:

*   DaimlerChrysler
*   FedEx
*   iPad
*   iPhone
*   iPod
*   iWhatever
*   MasterCard
*   NVIDIA
*   PlayStation
*   YouTube
*   etc. etc.

Then, once we are finished with camelcased words, we can start
correcting capitalization in acronyms.  The situation there is even
worse.

These tasks will help us keep sufficiently busy for a few months now
that WordPress seems to have reached nearly perfect state and does not
need attention in any other areas.

:-D

Cheers!

Demetris