[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Jul 5 18:13:17 UTC 2010

On 7/5/2010 1:44 PM, elflop at googlemail.com wrote:
> How about if it was run at save time, rather than when a post is viewed?

To me that's destructive, because it impacts the fidelity of the data in
the database. A filter on output is trivial to add, remove, update, etc.
Every one of our output filters, from autop to texturize, is imperfect
but gets better.

The "damage" the P function could do has already been done. People have
already fixed their sites if it broke anything. The sky did not fall.
The exact same function has been running on WP.com for several years.

If it helps, think of this as one of those quirks that you sometimes
love, sometimes disagree with, but ultimately separates WordPress from
the 1,000 other generic, soulless, un-opinionated CMSes that flood the
market. We have made you a beautiful omelet, sorry about the eggs!
Except not really sorry.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://wordpress.org | http://automattic.com