[wp-hackers] [ wp-hackers ] A question about donation link

Jean-Nicolas Kuttler wp-hackers at nicolaskuttler.de
Tue Jan 19 15:30:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:57:38AM -0500, Mark Jaquith wrote:
> WordPress is released under the GPL version 2. No "or latest version"
> clause is included. It is "stuck" at version 2, in perpetuity. As

This doesn't seem to be true, from section 9 of the GPL v2: "If the Program does not specify a version number of this License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."

The only reference to a specific GPL version I can find in WordPress is in xmlrpc.php: * @license GPL v2

Simply including the GPL v2 text with the source makes it v2 or "any version ever published by the FSF" as I understand it. I think this should definitely be clarified in the source, as described in http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html#SEC4

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Kuttler
wp at nkuttler.de