[wp-hackers] Multiple custom image sizes

ErisDS erisds at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 14:43:53 UTC 2010

Just to put forward my two cents:

Being able to define multiple custom image sizes would move wordpress a few
steps closer to being useful as a CMS. The new 3-size system is great but
it's not all the way there yet.

However I particularly like the idea of having a regeneration feature.

This will improve separation between content and theme such that future
redesigns of a website (and there for potentially different sized
post-thumbnails etc) no longer means we have to go through and reupload all
the images - rather just hit a button and have them all regenerated. I am
aware there are plugins but I see no reason why this shouldn't be core.

It would be sensible to warn users with large numbers of images that this
could degrade their site performance, and to schedule the regeneration to
happen over a period of time. However I think for 90% of Wordpress sites
regeneration would work ok.