[wp-hackers] Handling Plugin translations
wp-hackers at tobias.baethge.com
Sun Jan 10 12:36:00 UTC 2010
> >>> I was considering installing GlotPress and maybe getting people to
> >>> update them there directly, Has anyone else taken this route?
> >> I would really love to do that, but unfortunately GlotPress is not
> >> (yet) ready for that. I would love to test and play around with it,
> >> but unfortunately have severe problems, especially because of this
> >> issue: http://trac.glotpress.org/ticket/26
> > I might have to get involved in GlotPress then and get it up and
> > running for myself, see what i cant fix along the way :)
> Patch to fix this is on the ticket now as I got curious again and
> tracked down the issue.
I guess, I can fortunately revise my sentence from above.
After finally seeing a comment in that mentioned ticket, I was able to set up a test installation.
(Note to everybody who wants to try (thanks to nbachiyski and westi for this):
Test installations should be on a domain like "example.com" and not simply "localhost", because the login cookie's "domain path" seems to make trouble on those. But a solution to this seems to be close, thanks to Peter's investigations.)
This might be interesting for Dion:
I set up a test install for my plugin and everything with the translation process works fine already and looks usable for plugin translations.
Things that need work, before it really can be done in practice:
- User Management (creation, permissions, ...)
- easier export of generated language files (maybe even bulk export of those files for a project).
Also, I haven't yet seen "export as a mo-file", but there might be code for this ready to use in the Codestyling Localization plugin mentioned in my previous mail in this thread.
To sum up, GlotPress is already at a pretty good stage and I really value the work of its developers!
I'll definitely be using it for translations on plugins!
More information about the wp-hackers