[wp-hackers] fixes for old versions

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Jan 7 16:42:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Steve Taylor <steve at sltaylor.co.uk> wrote:
> Regarding separation of security fixes and upgrades, I can see where
> they're coming from. I still have MS Office 2003, but it's secured
> with patches still. No doubt the non-tech people at the company see
> things this way, and don't understand why upgrades are *immediately*
> mandatory.

They don't expose their Office installation to the entire world via
the internet.

Of course, you probably know this, but it's important to tell clients
that software which is visible to the world is more important than
software they use on their own machines. If Word had a security
vulnerability, then somebody would still have to get them to load a
document to gain access to that system.

Also, switch to OpenOffice already. It's slimmer and better for
personal use, IMO. Unless you're doing wacky document collaboration in
an all-Microsoft shop running BackOffice Server, MS Office is way
overkill.

-Otto