[wp-hackers] Question about the architecture of the admin widgets.php

John BouAntoun jbouantoun at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 02:43:57 UTC 2010

Thanks for the more in-depth analysis Andy. Sounds like I got what I was
looking for, which was a semi-confirmation that the dirty work-arounds I put
in place are the most practical for right now.

using the blur event for the triggerSave() may well be usefull, but it still
exposes the re-ordering issue. When you reorder the ajax items, the way it
is done effectively destroys the link between the mce editor and it's
textarea. You literally need to remove the editor from the DOM and recreate
it, which is why I override the edit button's click event, to re-create and
reload the editor.

This is what led me to believe that if the WP widgets page architecture
provided some form of client side hook/feature capability (as WP does on the
server side), like the ability to catch a pre/post sort and a pre/post save
event, things would be far more easier.

Unfortunately the only way to do ordered binding in jQuery is with a new
delegation plugin (not default jQuery binding) and is a common gripe about
it.So I don't think that's going to be workable anytime soon.

Also, I don't see the reasoning for moving from the object.bind('click') to
the object.live('click') approach except that it allows jQuery to handle the
binding for newly (later) created items that match the selector. The thing
is the WP architecture is always going to know about the new items as it
does the creating, so delegating the responsibility of event binding to
jQuery is just taking more control away from the devs for minimal benefit.
It's not like the click binding code has to be copied and pasted for every
instance of a widget, it's going to be in an iteration or loop of some kind
at object creation anyhow.

JBA