[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And Around TheCategory Side Of Things

Hikari lists at hikarinet.info
Mon Feb 15 21:05:07 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>
Sent: Monday, 15 February, 2010 5:22 PM

| By your same logic a computer operating system vendor would be a
| failure if their GUI didn't meet everyone's needs and they also provided
| a command line, right?

I'd not say a failure, since it depends more on the marcket situation.

But if it could, much better. And for sure if there was another software with the same quality, with no disadivantages, and with the
extra feature, MAYBE it would win because of that.

| > | After thinking about this a bit, I'd like the through out the following
| > | trawman: why don't we consider deprecating wp_terms and using
| > | p_posts with a post type of "taxonomy_term" instead?  That would
| > | ddress numerous concerns; streamline URL routing for taxonomy as
| > | well as give taxonomy terms descriptions and meta data.  Hmmm?
| >
| > Do you mean, do this change to to make URL parsing easier?
|
| Yes, but also to add all the features of posts to a taxonomy term, i.e. most importantly a description but also categories, tags,
URL routing, and more.  It is basically what Matt suggested to me that they want to do to replace Links so it seems to make sense
for Taxonomy too.

I wasn't able to understand how exactaly this idea will fit in permalink, but if it makes permalink easier to expand an enhance with
plugins, that could work.

And with custom taxonomy taking popularity, I'm pretty sure some day somebody will want something that will require or be easier to
do with taxonomy metadata :P

It's interesting how Wordpress and Drupal seem to merge in features. Wordpress had post metadata for long time, while Drupal
depended on CCK module. Last time I read about it they were gonna add part of CCK as a core module, maintained by core devs, and
only its UI would remain an independant module.

Now Wordpress also gets custom post type and custom taxonomy. :D