[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And AroundTheCategory Side Of Things

Hikari lists at hikarinet.info
Mon Feb 15 01:51:52 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark McWilliams" <admin at wpkid.com>
Sent: Sunday, 14 February, 2010 3:49 PM

| Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:27 PM Mike Schinkel Wrote:
| > Bottom line, a site publisher will be better off if they have control to
| > optimize their URL structure.  One of WordPress' biggest current
| > weaknesses is the difficulty of control URL structure.
|
| At the end of the day, you want to setup your site so that it appeals to
| visitors, and is easy to navigate for them! You don't want to link to
| /category/announcements/ in the navigation, you want to like to
| /announcements/ which is just common sense. So yes, it's one of WP's current
| weaknesses! :(

And another one is the lack of a powerful menus generator, but let's not offtopic the thread :P

Because of the complexity of the core code, it's hard to expand permalink features, it's as if we had to fix something that
shouldn't need a fix.

We can remove cat base, but only if we have few cats and pages. It's not expandable.

I believe everybody already read a famous post explaining that a badly formed permalink structure makes Wordpress start storing
expandable.

Custom Permalink plugin can be used to fix that, but it also uses wp-options for taxonomy, it's ugly how it must load an array, edit
it and store it back. Also not expandable, it is only a solution for exceptions. And I also doubt it's able to run prior to rewrite
rules.

We need a simpler and dry base to work upon. With this complex permalink code, if something is against what we want we hardly can
change it.

BTW, I have an abandoned plugin related to this subject I need help to fix, I'm gonna start a new thread for it :)

Hikari -  A Luz ilumina a PAZ
http://Hikari.ws
http://ConscienciaPlanetaria.com

Tenha seu próprio email meunome @ ConscienciaPlanetaria.com.br!: http://seunome.ConscienciaPlanetaria.com.br