[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And Around TheCategory Side Of Things

Hikari lists at hikarinet.info
Sat Feb 13 21:52:55 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>
To: <wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 10 February, 2010 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And Around TheCategory Side Of Things

| Bottom line, a site publisher will be better off if they have control to
| optimize their URL structure.  One of WordPress' biggest current
| weaknesses is the difficulty of control URL structure.

I agree with that.

Wordpress advantage is that, if we wanna change permalink structure, we can do so once and get all our pages updated, and with the
help of a plugin also have old permalinks 301 redirected to new ones.

But that also makes it harder to get our permalinks the way we want. Drupal's URL Alias is clean and simple, and Pathauto enhances
it for what we need. Its problem is that, when Pathauto generated permalink is not what we want, then we must type our desired

Currently I'm using scategory to have the category I want in my post pernalinks, and custom permalink to have anything I want when
default permalink is not desired.

scategory is the only plugin I know that really makes us able to use categories in permalinks, and it's bugged leaving me stuck on
version 0.3.0 with no support.

quality API functions to allow us a lot of customizations and develop plugins to enhance parts of it.

This plugin would deal with conflict over different permalink plugins. And have options to disable specific parts of permalink
parsing.

That would solve permormance issues. If some parsing code is expensive, just disable it and hook your own, with only the code to
deal with your specific need.

Hikari -  A Luz ilumina a PAZ
http://Hikari.ws
http://ConscienciaPlanetaria.com