[wp-hackers] Error handling in WordPress

John Eckman eckman.john at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 17:11:50 UTC 2010

Seems like a very basic question but I haven't found the right section in the codex or other documentation on how to handle errors in a plugin in WordPress.

Example:

- a plugin is adding some function to be called when a new post is published (notifying a third party service for example)
- sometimes, when that function is called, it returns a failure code

I'm using try/catch to capture what the exception is that is thrown, but how do I make it visible to the admin user in WordPress?

Does one set a message to be displayed in the admin dashboard? How?

Thanks in advance for any pointers to documentation or code -

John

John Eckman
eckman.john at gmail.com
http://www.johneckman.com/