[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And Around The Category Side Of Things

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Feb 10 19:05:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Otto wrote:
>> I find it amazing, and more than a little humorous, at how far people
>> will go just because they don't want the word "category" in their URL.
>
> One important consideration, the deeper the path structure the less likely Google will rank the page highly in search results.  FWIW.

You are mistaken. Sorry. Google doesn't care about paths or total URL
length. It *does* care about the last part of the path, and that
should always be your post-name, because Google parses those words and
uses them as keywords for the post.

That said, shorter URLs do tend to get more clicks from search
engines. But that's shorter total length, the "distance from root" is
meaningless.

But don't take my word for it, ask Matt Cutts.

-Otto