[wp-hackers] Remove Plugin from wordpress.org?

logikal16 logikal16 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 21:00:01 UTC 2010

I know this has been discussed before, but is worth reiterating.

Plugin authors should be able to remove their own plugins from the
repository.

The statement of "letting old plugins rot to preserve the open source
model" is absurd. If authors want to hand their plugins off to someone
else (or write an abandoned message), that's fine. If they want to
remove the plugin from the repository, then nothing should prevent
that from happening too.

The open source model doesn't say anything about forcing code to exist
in the repository forever. If someone finds the plugin's code and
chooses to create an open-source forked version, then there's nothing
stopping that from happening.

The issue is there are many obsolete, redundant, sandbox (e.g. "Plugin
Name"), and broken plugins clogging up the repo. They're still in the
repo because the authors weren't able to remove them. Regardless of
how optimistic you'd like to be, the fact is that many of these
plugins will never find a new home -- or see another update.

Please, do us all a favor and allow plugin authors to remove their own
plugins.

Matt