[wp-hackers] Best practice for archives of custom post types

Michael Pretty mpretty at voceconnect.com
Fri Feb 5 19:26:38 UTC 2010

You need to somehow pass in the 'post_type' query_var through the URL.
You can do this by either directly adding post_type=my_post_type to the
query string of url for a normal archive page, or adding a rewrite rule
that turns example.com/my-post-type/ to example.com/?post_type=my_post_type.

If you want some examples of more complex handling for the archive
pages, I just finished the beta version of a plugin today that
automatically adds rewrite rules for custom post_types:
http://vocecommunications.com/services/web-development/wordpress/plugins/cms-press/.
Check out the add_rewrite_rules() method in
/cp-custom-content/cp-custom-content-handler-base.php.

Michael Pretty
@prettyboymp