[wp-hackers] Plain text Password?!

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 11:32:36 UTC 2010

On 01/02/2010 11:26, Tiago Relvao wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just received a mailing list memberships reminder from automattic.  It
> seems automattic is saving my password in plain text! Why?
>
> I hope the mailman-owner would change this or, at the very least, stop
> sending me my password by e-mail.

It says so right on the page where you sign up for a GNU Mailman list:

"You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild
security, but should prevent others from messing with your subscription.
Do not use a valuable password as it will occasionally be emailed back
to you in cleartext."

:)

Harish