[wp-hackers] Spam Accounts?

Thomas Belknap dragonfly at dragonflyeye.net
Sun Dec 19 14:31:21 UTC 2010

Note: I orginally posted this to the wp forums, but didn't get any response.
I find you guys to generally be much more helpful, anyway!

So, I'm working on a plugin and wanted to see if there was a way to avoid
the plugin operating on suspicious accounts, like spam accounts. Browsing
around, I noticed that there is a field in the table called "spam," but as
yet, I have not discovered where this field is set?

I've looked in both the individual blog administration and the site
administration stuff - I'm running a converted MU site - but can't seem to
find it. However, if I set the field directly in the database, the user
shows up red highlighted in the user admin area, so clearly, WordPress is
currently using it somehow.

Can anyone shed any light on what the deal is with this field? Is it being
deprecated? Thanks a lot!