[wp-hackers] Licensing and Copyright Issues with the Hello Dolly Plugin

hakre hanskrentel at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 16 17:47:07 UTC 2010

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----

Please read the license text that ships with the wordpress package. In specific
point 4:

  4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program except as
expressly provided under this License.  Any attempt otherwise to copy, modify,
sublicense or distribute the Program is void, and will automatically terminate
your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or
rights, from you under this License will not have their licenses terminated so
long as such parties remain in full compliance.

source: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/license.txt

You don't need to have a law degree to understand that the Hello Dolly Lyrics
are most certainly not available under GNU GPL and the original author nor
wordpress.org has the right to re-distribute it under GNU GPL.

Ergo the rights have been terminated as the re-distribution of the Hello Dolly
Lyrics is obviously limited. Remember that wordpress itself is a fork and the
intimidating part has been added after forking the original software.

Looks like a pretty simple thing to me, and isn't this what the GPL is famous
for? A permissive license.

For a deeper insight and even more legal argumentation there are probably more
resources and other places to discuss this in detail.

E.g. see 5.2 Termination in:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html

In this mailinglist I think the main point should be about how to achieve that
our users can re-distribute wordpress safely under the GNU GPL. I think
everybody can support such a statement.

-- hakre

 http://hakre.wordpress.com/