[wp-hackers] WordPress 3.1 Requirements

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Dec 16 17:28:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Eric Mann <eric at eam.me> wrote:
> PHP 4.3+ is a requirement for WordPress to operate, but some features will
> still be incompatible with those versions of PHP.  I can confirm that
> automatic updates fail for PHP < 5 on at least GoDaddy, 1and1 and
> MediaTemple.  However, WordPress still works just fine and you can still
> perform a manual (FTP) update.

Automatic upgrades are definitely not PHP 5 dependent, however they
are dependent upon the specific setup and configuration of the host in
question. In the case of many hosts, the PHP 5 setup is better or more
robust and thus automatic upgrades may work better on that.

This is definitely the case for GoDaddy hosting. I've confirmed this
multiple times.

-Otto