[wp-hackers] Licensing and Copyright Issues with the Hello Dolly Plugin

hakre hanskrentel at yahoo.de
Wed Dec 15 21:50:30 UTC 2010

Please don't feel offended. Read my words, we're not far away from each
other:

I wrote "Intended" you wrote "Purpose".

Then I wrote "IF the use of the plugin is REALLY limited". That's hypo-
thetical. If you would have written about a concrete limitation you can bet
that I would have reacted as concrete to it - not hypothetical.

> It's bewildering  that you'd
> jump to such a bad faith interpretation of my  words.

What I think is more important then to assume bad faith is
to think about the implications this has if the lyrics cause restrictions
of any kind to the GPLed code.

It has been distributed to millions of sites of which I assume most of
it's users do not want to violate others license and instead want to
be able to use wordpress under the GPL in a non-violating way.

That's just very bad news for all users incl. the ones who are developers.

> Regarding copyright and fair use — I weighed in already. This is  not
> an appropriate place to debate the matter.

Sure, as the regulars all know that the selection of the Hello Dolly Lyrics was
and is a personal preference by Matt Mullenweg and is not related to
anything educational. It's just Matt's hobby. He loves jazz. It's a specific
text he wanted to have in there. I think that's the whole story behind the
Hello Dolly lyrics. That's where the plugin has it's name from even.

That's why I would have never argued for fair use.

For the reality we share and in a publicly viewable space, I can only suggest
to take care and fix this. Seriously. And with the best intentions.

-- hakre

http://hakre.wordpress.com/