[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Mon Dec 13 19:48:45 UTC 2010

> You're conflating beer and speech (a common error, no doubt).

No, I'm not.

For a system to be compliant with the GPL (whether it's a paid system or a
free system) you must provide the system's source code in "the preferred
form of the work for making modifications to it."

So, if I buy a premium plug-in for you that contains obfuscated code, you
are still required to provide me with the unobfuscated code upon my request
of it.  Since we're working under the terms of the GPL, I have the right to
modify, add to, remove from, and redistribute this code.

So what then is the value/purpose of selling me a piece of obfuscated code
when you are still required to provide me with the unobfuscated code as
well?