[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Andy Charrington-Wilden andycharrington at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 02:24:47 UTC 2010

Karma. It's funny you say that because I've just listened to the full discussion matt had with Chris over thesis. Here's matts closing statement -

Matt: I think that the facts basically come down to three basic things. One, going GPL is the right thing to do. You don’t want to be at odds with the platform that your entire business is built on. Like I said, WordPress is a very large community. That’s apparently why he chose it as opposed to a different platform. However, when you chose software, you abide by its license just like you would want people who use Theis to abide by its license. Second, I believe it is the legal thing to do. Some of the best legal minds have looked at this issue, at WordPress, and at Thesis and have decided. Three, I just think it is good businesses. Many other businesses made the switch. You have direct analogs to what Chris could do here. In addition, back to the first point, you want to be aligned with the platform you built on. In summation, those are the three things I believe. Again, thank you Andrew for bringing together this special.

"the right thing to do". Karma. Ethos. All have the same implications. And i agree. You are right. Wordpress is a community and there is something different about it.

This started because i was asking for ways to protect my code. Which is actually ludicrous. Let me explain.... I have built on wordpress because i believe in it as a platform, believe it offers value to users and developers and because it was built by people like me! Well.... People who I'd like to be like in a few years anyway! Wordpress is distributed under the gpl. I don't care about the legalities of it all. If nothing else Matt has asked that ALL plugins, themes be distributed under the same license. It's the "right thing to do" to abide by that request. What i am building is totally dependant on wordpress. Sure i could develop a stand alone php platform but how long would that take me? Wordpress has been built and developed governed by what is needed and users and developers feel is best. I can not replicate that. So asking how to protect my code is ludicrous because if the developers of wordpress had done the same i wouldn't be developing the plugin at all!

Listening to the discussion between matt and Chris was very very helpful in deciding my stance on this topic. It's not about legalities. It's about what's right.

End of sermon. ;-)

Thanks.

Andy

Sent from my iPad