[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Mon Dec 13 01:28:26 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 7:13 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Based on these examples it seems that maybe businessman who doesn't really care about the ethos of the GPL and who don't worry about the good graces of the core community can easily run a plugin business that bypasses the GPL by appealing to the masses who pay no attention to the politics of the GPL?
I'm quite certain they could.  I've no doubt.  Just as 3rd party sites
exist that distribute all the products we've mentioned for less than the
rates charged by their developers, there are music distribution
companies that don't care to respect the artists and globally distribute
their music. I may have once heard of a video company that seems to pay
drunk girls to climb into their bus and go wild on camera.  There are
lots of ways you can make money without benefit to or respect for
others.  Lots of people proudly proclaim they don't care at all about
what others think about them and what they do.  This is demonstrated in
their actions, word and businesses.  A good many people who have this
world view appear to make pretty good money.  I generally try my best to
make sure that none of that money comes from me.

I'm not a GPL militant. I leave that to others, though if there are
clear license violations that's a nonstarter for me.  Respect, attitude
and personality do matter to me.   I show that in where I lend my verbal
and/or monetary support.  My answers to what are the "best and most
appropriate way[s]" to approach theme and plugin development are going
to reflect this.

-Brian