[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sun Dec 12 20:29:04 UTC 2010

Opinions will vary, especially regarding the legal definition of "derivative
work" <http://bit.ly/c1WZ25>.

But what really matters is this point: while you may be within your legal
rights to distribute non-GPL WordPress Plugins/Themes, your legal right to
do so doesn't mean that the WordPress community has to welcome your exercise
of those rights. While I believe that Plugins do not inherently inherit the
WordPress GPL (unless a Plugin/Theme has actual incorporation of WordPress
core code), I likewise believe that the WordPress community has the right to
define its own ethos regarding the licensing of
WordPress-extending/dependent code.

Continuing to argue the question really is pointless. The opinion of no one
in the WordPress community - and especially those directly involved with the
Project - will change unless and/or until a case is taken to, and settled
in, court.

If you choose to distribute non-GPL Plugins, do so - but understand that in
so doing, you are effectively exiling yourself from the good graces of the
WordPress community.

And with that, I think I've used up my 16-characters' worth of
pontification...

Chip