[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Dec 10 20:26:01 UTC 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Otto wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Peter Westwood
> <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:
>> A large %age of the time the patch will apply (maybe with some fuzz) and if not it can be manually applied in a number of different ways.
>
> Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to get that. Patches will apply to
> any version of WordPress, as long as the differences are not too
> great. So usually a patch made against stable will apply to trunk, or
> vice-versa. The "patch" tool has always been able to do "fuzzy"
> patching of diffs. It's not great at it, but it does work for the most
> part.

For me I've never seen that written anywhere and I've been looking for it.  I've been struggling for a while to get that simple answer.

I guess when I can read and trace through the code with a debugger I can figure it out.  But I can't do that for SVN (I don't have the skill to trace that code.)

Question: what happens if the line numbers change?  I've seen a lot of cases where the latest function is identical but other code in the same file has changed.

-Mike